Wednesday 4 September 2013

Is teaching a vocation or profession? My personal perspective


First of all lets see who is a TEACHER?

By definition a teacher is someone who inculcates knowledge, manners and values. Therefore a teacher holds a high prestige in the society. If a person working in the classroom does not possess qualities of a teacher, then most probably there is a leak somewhere, and I would hereby say: either a TEACHER or a CHEATER! He/she is doing a job he/she is not worth of.  Teaching is a noble profession because the teacher must possess so many qualities such as politeness, good manners, optimism, enthusiasm, helpfulness, devotion, care, leadership, socializing skills, good moral values; well this is a continuous list.   A teacher plays many roles in the lives of his/her students, he is the role-model. If the teacher is not keen on sharing or not at ease with classroom environment then teaching is not his vocation. Moreover a teacher is also a professional in his work, he plan and prepares his work orderly and effectively to meet the lessons objectives.   Personally, I see teaching requires both motivation, interest and professionalism from a teacher. Hence I would refer to teaching as both a vocation and profession.     My choice to be a teacher. As a child, i was always inspired by my teachers both primary and secondary. They were soft-hearted and dedicated people. I remember, I would imitate them at home with imaginary pupils at home, I would hold the chalk and stand in front of the little blackboard my dad made at home. while in college, i already made up my mind, I wanted to teach because I wanted to share what I know, I wanted to have an audience to listen to me. Fortunately few months after my secondary studies, I got a temporary job to replace a maths teacher who was on maternity leave. A new start, a challenge for me although maths was not my vocation ( am a Home-economist). I started to experience the ups and downs in classroom situations especially with students who hate maths, however I managed quite successfully to make my class interesting with good attitude towards my students. Later , hopefully i was employed in the same institution to teach Home Economics which consists of Food and Nutrition and Fashion and Fabrics. I love teaching those 2 subjects, they are creative, useful and very much linked to day-to-day life. Moreover as teachers, we get holidays, as the name say it, these are HOLY DAYS for me :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment