Wednesday 11 September 2013

My 2nd learning Reflections - OCL4Ed



Learning reflection for Session 2: 6th - 9th  September 2013 - OCL4Ed
My 2nd learning Reflections - OCL4Ed

The 2nd session has been as a revision of 2 past modules for me, OER and Intellectual property. Open education was very well defined by David Wiley  as he talked about it being accessed for free and allowed to be used. He also clearly explained about the permissions when applying the 4R’s.

Moreover Professor Eben Moglen talk about the beginning of a revolution when the word ‘theft’ is being attributed to the re-use of content. I stated in the micro-blog that :

“If the word 'steal' is being linked to copying, re-using, remixing, then everyone would be considered as a thief. Knowledge does not come on its own, we all learn new things from others, that does not make our interpretations stolen goods.”

His speech reminded me about the difference in perceptions of the producer of knowledge and the distributor of knowledge. Many people hide behind rights of intellectual property just to make money since they take knowledge as commodity. However I appreciated more the lecture by Professor Lawrence Lessig, his sense of humour captured the attention of his listener and he gave example such as “ Mickey Mouse” to illustrate the idea to 4R’s and how evil is the idea of owning others work and making money out of it. He emphasizes on the rights of the creator, the re-mixer, the distributor into ecology of creativity.

Overall I would qualify what am learning as fruitful since I reflect better about the application of intellectual property to teaching and learning content. And I would like to make a statement which comes to my mind here, it is:

Do not imprison whats in your little brain, set it free and it will generously flourish your insights.”
- shahina lalloo

No comments:

Post a Comment